Thursday, September 10, 2009

COCONUT CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE

INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE:
1 box Chocolate cake mix,
3 eggs,
1/3 cup vegetable oil,
1 cup water;
Mix and bake according to the instructions on the box; cool completely before frosting.

INGREDIENTS FOR FROSTING:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened,
1-1/2 cups powder sugar,
3 squares (3 oz.) chocolate, melted,
1/2 cup ground coconut flakes,
1 teaspoon vanilla extract,
1 teaspoon rum extract;
Beat butter and powder sugar until light and fluffy. Add melted chocolate, vanilla and rum; continue beating until shiny and smooth. Stir in coconut.
Frost the cake; garnish with chocolate shavings or coconut flakes.

3 comments:

  1. I'm saving your frosting recipe to use. It sounds super good, especially with that wee bit of rum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks realy rich and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's what I do when using a mix from a box.

    I use 5 tablespoons of Grapeseed oil. It's healthier than olive oil. Then I add 9 tbsp. of Pasteurized Egg Whites. (they come in a carton similar to milk) Then I add 1 1/3 cups of water. I then mix this until there are no lumps left in the mix. Talk about a very light, moist and good tasting cake... It's incredible. And, because of they way I do it, the cup cakes or cake slices (depending upon how it's cut) come out to about 2.5 grams of fat each. And with the frosting I make, it brings them to about 5 grams per cup cake or slice.
    NOTE: I use Grapeseed oil because it's the healthiest of all oils on the market. It even surpasses Olive Oil. And Olive Oil is not conducive to all types of cooking. Particularly baking.

    ReplyDelete